Monday, January 11, 2010

Word

I enter into (and often fail at) goals all year long, so New Year's resolutions have been nothing spectacular in the past. This year, I have a new approach. I got this idea from my friend, Katie, who got it from somewhere else, so it's been around. Instead of outlining a list of goals, she picks one word that she applies to everything in her life throughout the year from projects to relationships to how she spends her free time. I like this approach for three reasons:

1. One word, so it's easy to remember.

2. Broadly applicable, so it has a good chance of improving at least one aspect of my life.

3. And an ambiguous, arbitrary measurement of success, so the possibility of complete failure to improve is minimal.

Sounds like my kind of resolution. The word of 2010 is... get ready... Perspective. (insert symbols crashing and fireworks here) For the last eleven days it has proven to be an appropriate choice and a handy reminder to have floating around my head. I find that I actually think about it a lot and believe it to be the most effective New Year's technique yet. It still has to be proven in the long run, but I'm optimistic. So, what's your word of 2010?

5 comments:

Staci said...

what a great word! i love it. if i had to pick another word for myself, it would be 'courage' or 'will'. thanks for the motivational tip! also, you need to blog more often. you are a brilliant writer! **we want more! we want more!**

Katie Warner said...

Isn't it great? You get an A. :) I like your word.

Megan said...

As we have previously discussed, my word is Potential. Potential. Wish me luck!

pj said...

Excellent idea! Mine is.....Jackhammer!!! Oh yeah! Next time I'm debating on whether or not to let Alison and Megan win at Catch Phrase I will just think JACKHAMMER!!! Oh yeah! And give it my all and only lose by two points instead of 6. Actually my word for the year is Discipline. As in "I need to exercize more discipline in responding to blog posts and just leave my real comment."

Unknown said...

My word is "Work" as in "put your shoulder to the wheel" stuff. The harder the better! I'm going to employ my talents and skills to make the world a better place to live. Starting with putting "Mr. Jackhammer" in his place!